PRIVATE INSTRUCTORS USE OF THE HERO SHOOTING RANGE
Private Firearm Instructor Guidelines for Use of HERO Center Facilities
(THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE USE OF FACILITY FOR PUBLIC SAFETY AGENCIES)
Thank you for your interest in using the HERO Center Shooting Range for your private firearms instruction and/or qualifications of students. The following guidelines and rules have been put in place to properly inform you of the HERO Center’s expectations and requirements when using the range for private/commercial range use. This would include, but is not limited to, anyone teaching a firearms course that requires that their student(s) demonstrate use of a firearm or range qualification/certification.
Guidelines and Rules (PLEASE READ THOROUGHLY):
- An individual or company that wishes to use the HERO Center to conduct shooting range qualifications for the range portion of their private course(s) will be required to submit documentation that you are a BCA Organization Approved to Certify Firearms Instructor. LINK to BCA Approved List HERE
- You must provide a Certificate of Insurance showing liability coverage for you or your business and list the HERO Center, and the City of Cottage Grove MN as a “certificate holder” or an additional insured on your liability policy.
- The HERO Center DOES NOT allow private or commercial individuals/companies to rent classroom space or the firearms range at the HERO Center to teach an entire firearms or weapons related course(s). The HERO Center will offer firearms courses to the public and as such will not allow any direct competition with the HERO Center.
- The HERO Center DOES allow private/commercial individuals/companies the ability to rent a lane or portion of the shooting range for their students who need to demonstrate proficiency or as required by the course requirements. In this case, all classroom and general instruction should be completed off-site from the HERO Center and only the shooting portion shall be conducted at the HERO Center Shooting Range.
- The firearms instructor must reserve a lane(s) online or by phone, in advance. We ask that you reserve a lane 24-hours in advance if possible before bringing participants to the HERO Center. Our range is open on the weekends and you may reserve (1) lane per instructor(s). If you wish to have a larger number of people shoot, we require that you reserve the (1) lane and cycle the participants through one single lane. Please reserve the lane for the exact number of hours you intend to conduct your shooting event. Each participant will be required to complete a range waiver, watch the safety video online, and pay the single lane resident rate for their respective shooting.
For example: The instructor books the lane for (1) hour reservation and pays $18. Each participant pays $18 to shoot on the same lane that the instructor reserved, whether it be for 1-minute or longer. The instructor must only have a maximum of (1) person shooting at a time on the lane and may have a (2nd) shooter standing-by at the back of the range wall observing. The instructor should always remain with the student while at the shooting stall.
- The HERO Center will always have Range Safety Officers (RSO) staffed during the weekend shooting times. The RSO has the ultimate authority to terminate a shooting event or remove an individual based on any range violation that occurs.
- The instructor will receive a free paper target and if needed, each participant will receive a (1) free rental of eye and ear protection provided by the HERO Center during their shooting event.
- The HERO Center logo and emblems should not be used without expressed written consent. Your training course materials should not identify or give the perception that your course is sponsored or hosted by the HERO Center in any capacity, without expressed written consent from the HERO Center manager.
Instructor checklist before students visit the HERO Range
- Provide company certificate of liability insurance coverage to HERO Listing the HERO Center as a certificate holder on your policy.
- Provide the HERO Center with a certificate showing you are certified as an instructor and provide documentation as a BCA Organization Approved to Certify Firearms Instructors.
- Make sure each participant has signed a range waiver online: www.HEROCenterMN.org/shooting-range
- Make sure each participant has watched the range safety video online at HEROCenterMN.org/Shooting-range
- As the instructor, reserve your lane 24-hours prior to your shooting event online at HEROCenterMN.org/reserve-a-lane
We strongly encourage that you incorporate our range safety video into your course lecture so that each participant has watched the video. You should also consider having them complete the range waiver during your class.
RANGE RULES FOR PARTICIPANTS
WHAT IS ALLOWED AND NOT ALLOWED AT THE RANGE?
- BRASS casings ONLY, no aluminum and no steel casings allowed due to our metals recycling.
- For your safety, Range Safety Officers (RSO) will be inside the range at all times during the public shooting hours. RSO’s have ultimate authority to remove an individual(s) from the range for any violations (NO REFUNDS WILL BE PROVIDED).
- All firearms must be unloaded and encased when brought into the HERO center and range. Legal permit to carry holders should keep their firearm holstered at all times until safely on the range.
- For public use we only allow bulls-eye targets and DO NOT allow human silhouette targets. You may bring targets or purchase targets directly at HERO Center. No exploding targets allowed. (Examples of ALLOWED targets are online at herocentermn.org/shooting-range)
- No reusing of another person’s target. Each shooter must purchase or provide their own target.
- All shooters must shoot at a target and may not shoot down range without a target displayed.
- Handgun calibers are allowed up to .45 caliber.
- Rifles are allowed up to 300 Win. Mag.
- You may bring your own ammunition, but it must be in original packaging or in boxes clearly marked “range friendly”. No “mixed bag” ammo is allowed as we cannot have armor piercing rounds on the range. Individuals who re-load their own ammo may bring a large bag of ammo but all ammo should be consistent with each round in your storage container.
- All brass will remain at HERO Center, unless you reload ammo. In this case any casings may be picked up in your immediate range stall. If any brass goes beyond the range stall tray that will remain with HERO Center and you CANNOT go beyond the range tray/tables in the shooting stalls.
- No drawing from a holster. Only law enforcement or government agency members may draw from a holster; or anyone as required under the guidance of HERO Staff/instructors for specialized training requiring such action.
- Only(1) firearm is allowed to be uncased at your shooting stall at a time. All weapons should be uncased with the muzzle pointed down range at all times.
- All weapons should be loaded at your shooting stall, using the shooting stall table/tray to place your weapon and ammunition for loading.
- Shotguns will NOTbe allowed. Due to our brass recycling program we have to limit shotgun usage to avoid wads in the trap system mixing with brass.
- We DO NOTallow high decibel level munitions which include, but are not limited to for pistol: .45 Long Colt, .44 Magnum, .454 Casull, .460, .475 Wildey Magnum, .480 Ruger, .50 AE, .500 Linebaugh, .44 Mad Max, .440 Cor-Bon, .475 Linebaugh Maximum, .460 S&W Magnum and .500 S&W Magnums and any others not listed over .45 caliber.
- We Do NOT allow the following rifle calibers: Any caliber larger than .300 Win. Mag, to include but not limited to: .300 WBV, .338 WIN Mag, .375 H&H, .444 Marlin, .45-70 GOVT, .50 BMG. This list is subject to change and all calibers should be verified before using at HERO Range.
- Range Safety Officer’s will make the FINAL DECISION on what ammunition is allowed if it comes into question.
- We DO NOTallow black powder firearms. No tracers, no incendiary, no explosive, no steel core, no steel-jacketed and no modified firearms which operate as “controlled rapid firing” to include but not limited to: bump stocks (slide fire).
- NO “ARMOR PIERCING AMMUNITION” ALLOWED. Any individual who uses an armor piercing round on the range will be held financially and personally liable for any damage, injury or death that occurs as a result of this action(s). Armor piercing ammunition is defined under 18 U.S. Code § 921. Definitions:
17 (B) The term “armor piercing ammunition” means:
(i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or
(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for us in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.
- We DO NOTrent firearms on-site.
- Eye protection and hearing protection is mandatory, and each shooter is required to have on at all times. Necessary protection equipment is available for a small rental fee. Eyes & Ears are include for use at no extra charge for individuals with an annual range membership (Memberships coming soon).
- FOAM PLUGS ONLY are not allowed. All shooters must wear properly rated hearing protection while on the range.
- Lane rentals must be rented by an adult 18 years of age or older. Children 10-17 must be accompanied at all times by a parent or legal guardian. A liability waiver must be signed for all shooters and individuals entering the range regardless of whether or not you shoot.
- No disrespectful or unruly behavior will be tolerated. Any behavior that is deemed a violation by the range safety officers will result in removal from the range and could result in future denied access to use the range. Any behavior or actions that present a danger to life or property will result in removal and denied use of the range.
- No one under the influence of alcohol or drugs will be allowed on the range. Any person suspected of being under the influence will be escorted from the HERO Center.
- No food or drink is allowed on the range. No smoking, unless in designated area outside of the HERO Center.
- We recommend you utilize our free onsite lockers to secure your personal belongings. The HERO Center is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
- Any damage caused by reckless or careless behavior or action by an individual will be the liability of the customer.
- The range is always under video
- Due to inclement weather the range may be closed. To keep up with weather closures, please visit the HOME page for any important messages or join our email notification group.
ALLOWED HANDGUN CALIBERS ALLOWED RIFLE CALIBERS
.25 ACP .17 HMR
.22 LR .22 LR
.22 WMR .22 MAGNUM
.32 ACP .22 WMR
32 H&R MAG .22 HORNET
.380 ACP 218 BEE
38 SPECIAL & +P .223 AND 5.56
38 SUPER 7.62 X 39
40 S & W .243 WIN
9 MM .30.30 WIN
.50 GI .35 REMINGTON
.400 COR BON .303 BRITISH
9X23 WINCHESTER .308 WIN
.327 FEDERAL MAGNUM .270 WIN
.450 SMC .30.06
.357 SIG 7mm REM MAG
.45 SUPER 7mm WSM
44 SPECIAL .45-70
10 MM .300 WIN MAG
9 X 25 DILLON
SPECIAL DESIGNATED SHOOT TIMES (Coming in the near future)
.45 WIN MAGNUM
.45 LONG COLT